Ex-girlfriend of LSU’s Drake Davis changes statement regarding domestic violence incident

Updated: Aug. 20, 2018 at 4:05 AM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - An LSU football player has been suspended indefinitely following his arrest for a second-degree battery charge.

LSU head coach Ed Orgeron announced the suspension for wide receiver Drake Davis, 21, during a Saturday afternoon news conference. Davis faces a second-degree battery charge that stems from an apparent history of violence toward his ex-girlfriend. He was arrested Friday.


According to Davis' arrest report, LSU Police Department met with an LSU official about a battery of a dating partner case involving two LSU students. The unidentified official told police she had four incidents connected to the case brought to her attention.

Police reached out to the victim, who said she had been dating Davis since January 2017, but they had recently broken up the previous Friday.

The victim said Davis attacked her four times during their relationship, according to the arrest report.

In May 2017, the victim went to Davis' house to pick up some personal items. She told police Davis became angry and punched her in the stomach.

In April 2018, while at the victim's apartment, Davis became upset with the victim for being out with friends and punched her in the side of her stomach. The report said her rib was fractured as a result.

The third incident happened in Davis' car, where he had become upset with the victim for waving at a friend. The victim told authorities Davis took her to an area on Perkins Road and threw her phone out the window. The victim got out of the vehicle, and Davis tried to leave her. When he drove back, the victim re-entered the vehicle, and Davis then reportedly strangled her.

The latest incident happened in June 2018 at the victim's apartment. Davis was upset over a text message conversation and went to the victim's apartment. Davis entered the apartment using a key given to him and went into the victim's room where he reportedly strangled her and punched her in the stomach. The report also states that Davis pulled an earring from the victim's ear, causing it to bleed.

The victim provided photos to authorities of the bruising caused by Davis' attack. In addition, the victim provided text message conversations between her and Davis. The messages showed Davis threatening the victim with violence. At one point in the conversation, Davis sent a text saying, "I might kill you."

District Attorney Hillar Moore said that Saturday afternoon, the victim had "made a different statement."

Moore added the investigation is ongoing and active. He said his office is still willing to take any information from anyone that has any to offer.

"It is not unusual and, in fact, common, that domestic violence victims change statements," Moore told WAFB over the phone Saturday evening.

Davis' bond was set at $5,000. He was released Saturday evening. Davis is scheduled to be in court Monday for a hearing.

Copyright 2018 WAFB. All rights reserved.