VERMILION PARISH, LA (WAFB) - Following a lengthy multi-agency investigation into criminal activity near the City of Abbeville, Louisiana State Police Investigators discovered the presence of organized gang activities by the Gremlins gang.
Further investigation revealed that the criminal enterprise operated not only in the City of Abbeville, but throughout four parishes in South Central Louisiana. Associates of the Gremlins gang are suspected of engaging in numerous narcotics and violent crimes including homicide, intimidation of witnesses, and widespread distribution of narcotics.
Over an approximate year period, multiple agencies collected evidence and intelligence related to the criminal gang activities. As a result of the collaborative investigation, a Vermilion Parish Grand Jury returned true bill indictments for 17 known members of the Gremlins gang in addition to the Limited Liability Corporation operating as TOP Auto Rental and Sales.
The indictments included charges of racketeering, conspiracy to commit racketeering, and engaging in a criminal street gang which can carry up to 50 years in prison if convicted.
"The individuals identified through this investigation have chosen to endanger public safety through violence and the distribution of illegal narcotics into our neighborhoods," stated Colonel Mike Edmonson, State Police Superintendent. "Investigative cooperation between our local, state, and federal law enforcement agencies has once again produced results towards ensuring the safety of our citizens and removing the criminal element from our communities."
On the evening of December 17, 2015, investigators began the execution of the arrest warrants successfully placing 10 members of the Gremlins gang into custody with 7 members still at large. A photo of Stephen Walker was not immediately available.
1. Kavan Broussard, 19, of Abbeville
2. Gene Williams III, 19, of Abbeville
3. Nakia Zenon, 41, of Abbeville
4. Wesley Laviolette, 35, of Abbeville
5. Gregory Bessard, 21, of Abbeville
6. Roland Bernard, 23, of Abbeville
7. Andrew Granger, 21, of Abbeville
8. Stephen Walker, 23, of Abbeville (not pictured)
9. Kendall Breaux, 20, of Lafayette
10. Xavier Dyson, 17, of Abbeville
1. Aaron Carter, 21, of Abbeville
2. Darren Carter, 18, of Abbeville
3. Travis Cooper, 25, of Abbeville
4. Cody Guidry, 21, of Abbeville
5. Jerran Diggs, 37, of Abbeville
6. Kirkland Demouchet, 20, of Abbeville
7. Jonathan Landry, 29, of Abbeville
The Louisiana State Police, Abbeville Police Department, Vermilion Parish Sheriff's Office, Vermilion Narcotics Task Force, Vermilion Homicide Task Force, Abbeville City Marshal's Office, Lafayette Police Department, Lafayette Parish Sheriff's Office, Acadia Parish Sheriff's Office, Carencro Police Department, St. Martin Sheriff's Office, and Kaplan Police Department all participated in the investigation.