Sources: Officer involved in fatal shooting of 6-year-old could be released from jail Thursday

Published: Nov. 11, 2015 at 3:28 PM CST|Updated: Nov. 11, 2015 at 5:27 PM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn
Derrick Stafford (Source: LSP)
Derrick Stafford (Source: LSP)
Jeremy Mardis (Source: Family member)
Jeremy Mardis (Source: Family member)

MARKSVILLE, LA (WAFB) - Sources say one of the officers involved in the shooting that killed a 6-year-old and critically injured the child's father could walk out of jail as early as Thursday, November 12 after posting a $1 million bond. The shooting happened on Tuesday, November 3 around 9:30 p.m.

Norris Greenhouse Jr, 23, is expected to be released. Sources tell WAFB the paperwork was drawn up Tuesday and property had to be secured to make the bond. Greenhouse, who was taken to the Rapides Parish Detention Center after his arrest, will be transferred back to the Avoyelles Parish Jail before his release.

There is no word if Derrick Stafford, the other officer arrested after the shooting, is planning to post his bond.

Greenhouse and Stafford both face charges of second degree murder, for the death of Mardis; and attempted second degree murder in the shooting of Chris Few. The Louisiana Attorney General's office will handle the prosecution of the two officers in the Marksville shooting.

Both Greenhouse and Stafford are also ordered to house arrest with electronic monitoring, to surrender all service firearms, and to surrender all badges and/or police officer certifications. Both officers have been moved to the Rapides Parish Detention Center. Because they are officers, it is standard procedure that they be put in isolation while they are in custody.

The bonds for Stafford and Greenhouse were set at $1 million apiece. In additional to criminal charges, the officers could face some civil rights violations.

Marksville Police officers and Ward 2 City Marshal Deputies 32-year-old Derrick Stafford and 23-year-old Norris Greenhouse Jr. are accused of shooting and killing 6-year-old Jeremy Mardis, and critically wounding his father Chris Few after a car chase. The officers were moonlighting for the Ward 2 City Marshal's Office at the time of the shooting.

According to Chris Few's attorney Mark Jeansonne, body camera video shows Few had his hands in the air and did not pose a threat before police opened fire last week.

"We took some of the body cam footage. I'm not gonna talk about it, but I'm gonna tell you this. It is the most disturbing thing I've seen and I will leave it at that," said Col. Mike Edmonson at a news conference.

It's still unclear what led to the initial car chase between four city marshal deputies, including Stafford and Greenhouse, and Chris Few. Few was driving a vehicle with his 6-year-old son, Jeremy Mardis, inside.

CBS News is quoting sources as saying investigators are exploring whether one of the arrested deputies had a "personal grudge" against Christoper Few.

When the chase ended, with Few and his son still in the vehicle, investigators say the officers opened fire. Few was critically injured. Jeremy, who police say was hit at least five times, was buckled in the front passenger seat of the vehicle.

Few was taken to the hospital in critical condition. Few's attorney says he is improving, but he has not been told about his son's death.

Copyright 2015 WAFB. All rights reserved.