Convicted killer accidentally released from La. prison caught in Atlanta

Convicted killer accidentally released from La. prison caught in Atlanta
Benjuiel Johnson (Source: Iberville Parish Sheriff's Office)
Benjuiel Johnson (Source: Iberville Parish Sheriff's Office)

ATLANTA, GA (WAFB) - A convicted killer who was accidentally released from prison following miscommunication and missing paperwork on the part of the Louisiana Department of Correction was found in Atlanta early Friday morning.

The US Marshals Service arrested Benjuiel Johnson, 32, just after midnight at a motel in an Atlanta suburb. Marshals said Johnson was found at a Motel 6 on Jimmy Carter Boulevard off I-85 in Norcross.

"We had some indications that he may be in the Georgia area and we were able to develop those leads and apprehend him," Middle Louisiana US Marshal Kevin Harrison. "He was arrested without resistance."

Supervisory Inspector Jim Joyner with the US Marshals Service said when deputy marshals opened the room door Johnson "was very shocked." He was booked into the Gwinnett County Jail. He is not facing any charges in Georgia and is awaiting extradition back to Louisiana. Harrison added it could take a couple of weeks for extradition.

"We attribute it to other law enforcement agencies involved. They were tenacious. They developed the leads needed to apprehend the suspect," Harrison explained regarding Johnson's arrest.

Johnson was wanted by law enforcement after being mistakenly released on September 23 from the Dixon Correctional Institute in Jackson, Louisiana. He was serving a 40-year sentence after pleading guilty to manslaughter and illegal possession of a firearm by a convicted felon.

According to officials with the Department of Corrections, early indications show Johnson was getting released from Dixon on good behavior for prior charges. When his name was run in the system, the manslaughter conviction did not appear, so he was let go. Johnson, however, had an outstanding charge for battery of a correctional officer.

After being released from Dixon, Johnson was picked up and booked into the East Feliciana Parish Detention Center and processed for the battery charge. A $10,000 bond was issued. Johnson posted bond and was released from prison.

Officials said the person responsible for the mistakes at the Dixon facility will face disciplinary action.

Copyright 2015 WAFB. All rights reserved.