LSU football player accused of punching woman has been released from jail

Published: Jun. 11, 2014 at 9:54 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn
Jalen Mills (Source: East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff's Office)
Jalen Mills (Source: East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff's Office)

BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - East Baton Rouge jail documents show that LSU junior defensive back Jalen Mills has been released from jail. He was arrested on a battery charge.

The East Baton Rouge Parish Prison reported Mills was booked early Wednesday morning on a charge of second-degree battery. Jail officials said Judge Mike Erwin set his bond at $10,000.

The LSU Sports Information Department reported Mills has been suspended indefinitely from the football team.

According to the probable cause report, a woman claimed Mills punched her in the mouth at his apartment complex on Highland Road on May 4, 2014. The report stated that she added "she fell to the pavement and was briefly unconscious."

The victim reportedly suffered a cut on her lip that required four stitches. The report said Mills is listed at 6'0" and 195 pounds, according to his identification. The victim is listed at 5'3" and 113 pounds. The report also stated a witness gave the same account as the victim.

According to the probable cause report, the victim said she was at the apartment complex and knocked on Mills' door because she was looking for her friend. It stated Mills confronted the woman and closed the door in her face.

It added she knocked again, but when no one answered, she walked away. The report went on to state that the woman claimed she heard someone say something and when she turned around, she was punched in the mouth.

"Photo lineups were conducted," said Cpl. Don Coppola with BRPD. "When he was initially contacted, he was out of town. So, he returns to town and later was arrested."

Officials said detectives contacted Mills on May 29 about the incident, but he said he was in Houston and would not be back in Baton Rouge until June 9. The report added arrangements were made for an appointment with Mills on June 10, and when he reportedly missed it and couldn't be reached, an arrest warrant was issued.

The investigation is ongoing.

If you are viewing this story on a mobile device (smartphone or tablet), click the link to see the slideshow that accompanies it -

Copyright 2014 WAFB. All rights reserved.