LSU's Ferguson named SEC Defensive Player of the Week
After a dominating performance against Kent State, Ego Ferguson has been named this week's SEC Defensive Player of the Week. Ferguson led LSU with 8 tackles, including 1.5 tackles for loss and a sack in the 45-13 win over Kent State. The eight tackles set a career-high for the first-year starter.
Other SEC Players of the Week:
OFFENSIVE: AJ McCarron, QB, Alabama
• Completed 20-of-29 passes for a career-high 334 yards with 4 TD and 0 INT.
• 5-yard pass to Jalston Fowler with 2:28 left put UA up 49-35 and proved to be game-winner.
• Also had TD passes of 22, 44 and 51 yards (four different receivers for scores).
• Improved record as starter to 27-2, including a 15-0 mark away from Tuscaloosa.
• Now second in UA record backs for passing yardage (passing Brodie Croyle) with 6,400 yards.
• 4 TD passes tied his career-best.
• Also responsible for checking at line of scrimmage for run plays as Alabama totaled 234 yards on the ground (568 yards total)
• McCarron was the Athlon Sports National Player of the Week .
SPECIAL TEAMS: Jeff Scott, PR/RB, Ole Miss
• Returned a punt 73 yards for an electrifying touchdown in leading Ole Miss to a 44-23 victory at Texas.
• Finished with a career-high 243 all-purpose yards, including a career-high 164 rushing yards and another TD.
• The punt return score marked the second of his career and the longest return.
• Moved into fourth on the school's all-time all-purpose yardage list with 3,421 yards.
FRESHMAN: Alex Collins, RB, Arkansas
• First freshman in SEC history and first true freshman in NCAA since Adrian Peterson in 2004 to begin career with three straight 100-yard rushing games.
• Rushed 25 times for 115 yards and one touchdown in 24-3 win vs. Southern Miss.
• Touchdown capped 14-play, 81-yard drive in 4th quarter that featured eight rushes for 38 yards, an average of 4.75 yards per carry, from Collins and provided final margin of victory.
• Received helmet sticker from ESPN.com for his performance vs. Golden Eagles.
• Leads SEC and ranks 4th in NCAA with 418 rushing yards this season, and average of 139.9 rushing yards per game is 2nd in conference and 8th in nation.
OFFENSIVE LINEMAN: Clayton Stadnik, C, South Carolina
• Making his second-straight start for the injured Cody Waldrop, Stadnik graded out at 82 percent, playing all 87 snaps at center in the 35-25 win over Vanderbilt.
• The Gamecock offensive line did not give up a quarterback sack or quarterback hurry while rolling up 579 yards of offense, the second-highest total in the Steve Spurrier era.
DEFENSIVE LINEMAN: Chris Smith, DE, Arkansas
• Recorded career-high 3.0 sacks as part of 5-tackle performance with two quarterback hurries in 24-3 win vs. Southern Miss.
• Made 2.0 sacks on Southern Miss' final drive of 2nd quarter with Golden Eagles at midfield to preserve 7-point Arkansas lead going into halftime.
• 3.0 sacks tied for highest single-game output this season.
• Tied for NCAA lead with 1.5 sacks per game and ranks 3rd in SEC and 16th in NCAA with average of 1.8 TFLs per game.
Information Provided by the SEC