Woman Arrested In Ex-Husband's Murder

Published: Jun. 7, 2004 at 10:17 PM CDT|Updated: Jun. 8, 2004 at 3:37 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

It was in the 7,000 square foot home in the exclusive White Oak Landing Subdivision, where East Baton Rouge sheriff's detectives discovered the body of 53-year-old Alan Waters. Alan was found dead of a single gunshot wound in his home on May 22nd. Sources say someone shot him in the chest in the shower, then moved the body.

The lone suspect in the case is Alan's ex-wife, 40-year-old Jan Waters. The arrest warrant says Jan rented a New Orleans hotel room but brought their 10-year-old son and 12-year-old daughter to the Comfort Suites on O'neal Lane, where she waited for them to fall asleep. The warrant then states that Jan went to the home to kill her ex-husband.

The warrant says Jan then picked up the children to go back to New Orleans. Detectives believe money and custody of the children may have been motives. Jan signed a prenuptial agreement which prevented her from getting the home or any of Alan's money. The two were also in the middle of a custody battle.

Investigators have not found a murder weapon, but police say a witness placed Jan Waters in Baton Rouge the night of her ex-husband's death. Cell phone records also show she was in the area of her ex-husband's house at the time of his death.

Detectives in Las Vegas spoke with Jan's boyfriend -- from the warrant, quote -- "The accused's boyfriend stated that on several occasions he has heard the accused state that she wished the victim were dead. Jan mentioned several times that she had a gun in the victim's home that she wished to bring back to Las Vegas."

Bill Smith works just doors down from where Alan rented a suite to operate his three real estate businesses. "Fine young couple. It's a disaster," says Smith. "You would have never, never guessed anything like that would ever happen to either one of them, much less what they're suspecting."

Sources say when detectives arrested Jan, she only vomited and said nothing to them.