Jury: Nelson guilty on all counts
BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - Former New Roads Mayor has been found guilty on all seven charges against him.
The jury deliberated for just over an hour before returning the verdict.
Nelson was found guilty of racketeering, wire fraud, making false statements and four counts of interstate commerce.
Defense attorney Paige Pate filed a motion for Judge Tyson to reconsider entrapment, but it was denied. Tyson instructed jurors to throw out entrapment and to not consider it.
Nelson was accused of taking bribes from undercover agents promoting a fake garbage can cleaning business.
- Defense rests in Nelson corruption trial
- Testimony begins in Nelson federal trial
- Jury selection for Nelson trial enters second day
- Jury selection begins in trial of Tommy Nelson Jr.
- Jury returns verdict in Brown brothers trial
- City of New Roads elects new mayor
- FBI agent allegedly part of "Operation Blighted Officials" convicted of fraud
- New charges for New Roads mayor
- Motions filed in federal case against New Roads mayor
- Mayor of New Roads pleads not guilty to federal racketeering
- White Castle mayor barred from running for re-election
- Mayor pleads not guilty to racketeering charges
- Mayor's indictment encourages some to seek his seat
- Indicted officials appear before federal magistrate
- New Roads residents react to mayor's indictment
- Indictments surprise some White Castle residents
- Grand jury indicts three officials on federal racketeering charges
- FBI investigation continues in New Roads
- Council calls emergency meeting to discuss rumors of FBI investigation
Copyright 2011 WAFB. All rights reserved.