Two More Arrested In Fatal School Shooting In New Orleans

Published: Apr. 15, 2003 at 3:41 PM CDT|Updated: Apr. 17, 2003 at 5:41 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

(New Orleans-AP) -- New Orleans Police have made two more arrests in the fatal shooting at John McDonogh High School. Police say 18-year-old Steven Williams and 17-year-old James Tate were picked up Tuesday afternoon.

Police say an anonymous call tipped them to the presence of one of the suspects in his grandmother's home. Both men were arrested without incident. Police believe that Williams and Tate were two of the gunmen in the shooting that killed a 15 year-old Jonathan Williams and wounded three others.

Both men were booked on first-degree murder charges. A warrant remains out for 19-year-old Raymond C. Brown.

Five suspects, ranging in age from 17 to 19, were arrested following the shooting. Booked with first-degree murder were 19-year-old Ralph M. Enclade; 17-year-old Tyrone Crump; 18-year-old Herbert Everett and 17-year-old Michelle Fulton. Police say 19-year-old Larry Moses allegedly hid three of the suspects after the shooting and was booked with accessory after the fact. None of the suspects was a student at McDonogh.

Police Chief Eddie Compass says the shooting was not gang-related, but that it likely was in retaliation for the killing of an 18-year-old man who was gunned down last week on a street.

Police say a handgun was found on the body of Williams. Captain Marlon Defillo says the gun was found by the coroner's office when Williams' body was undressed for an autopsy. However, it is unknown how Williams got the gun past metal detectors into John McDonogh High School.

A gaping hole in a plank fence, which may have allowed the gunmen access to the school's packed gymnasium, and a derelict house near the hole, where they may have hidden beforehand, were still there Tuesday. Chief Compass says he wasn't aware that the hole hadn't yet been patched, but was sure it had been reported to the proper officials and that repairs are in the works.

Meanwhile, the three students wounded continue to recover. The most severe case, a 15-year-old girl, who is in fair condition in the state hospital's intensive care unit. Spokesman Jerry Romig says a bullet cut off the back of one calf muscle. A girl who was trampled was kept overnight for observation and released Tuesday. Two others were treated and released Monday.