Baton Rouge church fire ruled arson
The church was under renovation at the time of the fire.
BATON ROUGE, La. (WAFB) - The Baton Rouge Fire Department is investigating after a church caught fire Wednesday, June 14.
Officials confirmed the cause of the fire has been ruled arson.
It happened just before 6 a.m. at Good Shepherd Missionary Baptist Church on Mission Drive near Winbourne Avenue.
According to a spokesman with BRFD, the church was under renovation when it caught fire.
Crews arrived on the scene to find smoke coming from the building.
Firefighters found construction material on fire inside the front door of the church. Crews were able to quickly contain the fire before it could spread. The damage was minimal, according to officials.
The building received moderate smoke damage.
No injuries were reported.
Officials said the same church caught fire in January 2022. That fire was caused by a malfunctioning A/C unit, they added.
Click here to report a typo.
Copyright 2023 WAFB. All rights reserved.