EBR Metro Council approves pay raise for police officers, firefighters, city-parish employees
BATON ROUGE, La. (WAFB) - City-parish employees of Baton Rouge will be getting a raise starting on September 10.
The East Baton Rouge Parish Metro Council approved the resolution by Mayor-President Sharon Weston Broome at its meeting on Wednesday, Aug. 10.
This includes a 7% raise for Baton Rouge police officers and a 5% pay raise for Baton Rouge firefighters.
“We were able to accomplish a 13% raise with the Baton Rouge Police Department, a 5% raise for all of our city-parish workers, without raising taxes,” said Broome.
“They are very appreciative and very grateful,” added Bill Profita with the Baton Rouge Police Union. “It’s a good raise and it’s been a long time coming.”
Below is a breakdown of the amended 2022 Pay Plan:
- Regular Classified and Unclassified Civil Service Pay Plan Increase (5%)
- All Classified and Unclassified Civil Service Classifications (5% Across-the-board Increase for all Classified and Unclassified Employees)
- Municipal Fire Pay Plan Increase (5%)
- All Municipal Fire Classifications (5% Across-the-board increase for the entire Municipal Fire Pay Plan)
- Municipal Police Pay Plan Increase (7%)
- All Municipal Police Classifications (7% Across-the-board increase for the entire Municipal Police Pay Plan).
“What we’re asking for, we don’t want to be rich, none of us took this job to be rich, we came here to be public servants,” said one member of the Baton Rouge Police Union to the council.
“To be able to give a raise like this without going to the voters and asking for more tax dollars, especially during some difficult times right now. So, I want to thank the mayor and the finance office for working on this efficiency in pay,” said Baton Rouge Police Chief Murphy Paul.
“Every one of them deserves to make a living so they can pay their bills and maintain their dignity. And it will be my continuous goal to make this happen,” said Mayor-President Broome to members of the Metro Council.
There will be no new taxes to make this pay plan work.
To read the full plan, click here: http://hdlegisuite.brgov.com/attachments/2022/legislation_A2FE93BD.pdf
Click here to report a typo.
Copyright 2022 WAFB. All rights reserved.