Advertisement

Electrical malfunction sparks fire that sends 1 to hospital; destroys 2-story home

Electrical malfunction sparks fire that sends 1 to hospital; destroys 2-story home
Published: May. 11, 2022 at 1:26 PM CDT|Updated: May. 11, 2022 at 4:29 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

BATON ROUGE, La. (WAFB) - One person was taken to the hospital for treatment after a fire caused by an electrical malfunction that destroyed a two-story home on Wednesday, May 11, according to the Baton Rouge Fire Department.

BRFD said it happened on South 18th Street at Wisteria Street just before 1 p.m. Investigators reported the electrical malfunction was caused by an overloaded power strip. The home is a total loss, they added.

The homeowner said she was downstairs when a neighbor ran over and yelled that the house was on fire. Crews said the biggest flames were on the second story when they arrived on the scene.

They added while they were fighting the fire, someone who lives at the home and was injured in the fire returned to the scene. The victim was treated by EMS and was also taken to the hospital for additional treatment, according to BRFD. The extent of those injuries was not given.

BRFD reported the Red Cross was contacted to help the family.

Click here to report a typo.

Copyright 2022 WAFB. All rights reserved.