Space heater may have caused house fire on Melrose Blvd

Space heater may have caused house fire on Melrose Blvd

BATON ROUGE, La. (WAFB) - Fire Crews say a space heater is to blame for sparking a fire in a home on Melrose Blvd around 4 p.m. Saturday.

Investigators say the fire started in the bathroom and quickly spread to the attic. The homeowner tried to use a fire extinguisher, but they were unable to get the flames under control.

Firefighters arrived on scene to find the rear of the home engulfed in flames and flames coming from the roof. The fire was in the attic and the roof began to collapse. They were able to stop the fire from spreading to the neighboring homes, according to the Baton Rouge Fire Department.

Fortunately, no one was hurt, but the home was destroyed, displacing the family who lived there. Red cross was on the scene assisting them.

The cause of this fire is undetermined and under investigation.

Click here to report a typo.

Copyright 2020 WAFB. All rights reserved.