PLAQUEMINE, La. (WAFB) - Last month investigators say two crime scenes in Iberville Parish are linked to each other. Now, investigators are trying to get to the bottom of these crimes so no one else is hurt.
On Sept. 28, the two crimes happened within 30 minutes of each other. A shooting on Maggio Street in White Castle and on Labauve Avenue and Marshall Street Molotov cocktails were thrown at a house on in the city of Plaquemine.
“We need to get those people off the street, they’re dangerous. The efforts of those investigations today have prevented harm and prevented more crimes,” says Butch Browning Head of Louisiana State Fire Marshall’s Office.
During the arrests, they confiscated six guns. Investigators believe the crimes are a result of retaliation between two groups.
Neighbors caught in the middle of the crimes did not want to be on camera, but they did share what they witnessed. The homeowner where Molotov cocktails were thrown says they were sleeping when the flaming weapon landed on the porch.
At first, they thought it was gunfire and their house now has a few burn marks, but is still standing. On Maggio St. in White Castle, the house has several bullet holes. Three people were inside and were treated for injuries, but they are all okay.
"We have been very fortunate that nobody has been seriously injured, but if these types of incidences keep occurring, some innocent person is going to be hit by these bullets, says Iberville Sheriff Brett Stassi.
Police arrested five people in total as of today.
“I urge our young people to realize that gun violence is not the answer,” Stassi said.
The following individuals were arrested:
- Jonathan Simmons (DOB: 9/28/1994) - possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, 3 counts of principal to attempted second-degree murder, one count principal to aggravated arson
- George Johnson, Jr. (DOB: 8/18/2002) - one count aggravated arson, two counts manufacturing/possession of delayed action incendiary device
- Dawan Seals, Jr. (DOB: 8/25/2001) - possession with intent to distribute schedule I narcotics, possession of drug paraphernalia, two counts illegal possession of stolen firearm, three counts of possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, one count of aggravated arson, two counts of manufacturing/possession of delayed action incendiary device
- Samilyus Brown (DOB: 2/11/2002) - three counts of attempted second-degree murder, one count of principal to aggravated arson, two counts of manufacturing/possession of delayed action incendiary device
- Samaad Norman (DOB: 5/8/2002) - three counts of attempted second-degree murder, one count of principal to aggravated arson, two counts of manufacturing/possession of delayed action incendiary device
We’ll have more coverage on later editions of 9News.
Click here to report a typo.