BATON ROUGE, La. (WAFB) - Three teens have been charged with negligent homicide in connection to a fatal shooting that happened Saturday, July 18.
According to the East Baton Rouge Sheriff’s Office, the shooting happened at roughly 9:35 p.m. in the 5800 block of West Rio Drive.
“According to reports, the 14-year-old victim was in a bedroom with three other teenage boys when one of them discharged a handgun the four had been playing with throughout the day. The three juveniles gave detectives conflicting statements about what occurred,” says a statement released by the sheriff’s office.
The name of the 14-year-old victim has not been released.
The three teens, ages 13, 14, and 15, have been booked into the juvenile detention center and are each charged with negligent homicide.
One resident on Rio Drive reacted to the tragic shooting.
“It’s touching you know. It’s just so many young people getting killed now you know from useless stuff like guns you know and other useless stuff,” said Willie Albert a neighbor.
Albert says it is normal to see the kids on his street out playing, looking to keep their idle minds busy while out of school.
”They doing something you know. They not running up and down the street, they’re in the park you know,” said Albert.
With much more free time, those idle minds could grow dangerously curious. Deputies have not confirmed where the gun came from, but Albert says he is hopeful parents will take the time to ensure any weapons in the home are safely put away, especially in homes with children.
”Parents ought to take heed and just, you know, secure their weapons more. Take the bullets out, or hide them, do something where they can’t find them,” said Albert.
Click here to report a typo.