5 tips to prevent cabin fever amid stay-at-home orders
BATON ROUGE, La. (WAFB) - On Monday, April 27, Governor John Bel Edwards announced that the state’s stay-at-home orders will remain in place until May 15.
It’s no surprise that people are starting to get a touch of cabin fever.
Tip 1 – Get active
- Just because you must stay home doesn’t mean you must stay on the couch. It’s deceptively easy to let the day go by without taking the time to move around.
- The shelter-in-place policy allows you to go outside for walks or bike rides. Taking a walk, run, or bike ride will give you a breath of fresh air.
- YouTube Yoga is a real thing; try it!
Tip 2 – Hold a video conference with friends/family
- If you haven’t connected with friends and family via video, then the time is now. Adding that face-to-face element will lift your spirits.
- Voice calls are officially 2019. Video calls from your laptop are now the rage.
- No webcam? No problem. FaceTime can be used between two iPhones, but what if one or both has an Android phone? Google Duo is a free app for high quality video calls that was just updated with new enhancements like group calling for up to 12 people.
Tip 3 – Listen to a podcast
- Podcasts are great for multi-taskers or people who are working from home.
- Think of your favorite hobby or topic and search the web for a podcast dedicated to that topic. Podcasts can be informational or humorous; there is something for everyone!
- This non-visual format allows you to divide your attention so you can focus on other activities throughout the day.
Tip 4 – Do some gardening
- If you didn’t already know, plants are the new “it” thing. Now is the perfect time (and temperature) to take up this hobby.
- A green thumb isn’t mandatory. There are plenty of plants that are low maintenance, such as cacti.
- If you are feeling more adventurous, then try growing a vegetable or herb garden.
Tip 5 – Start writing in a journal and/or read
- Are you guilty of having a stockpile of empty, beautiful journals or notebooks in your home? If so, pick one and start using it.
- As stressful as this time is, it will be an important moment in history. This is a great time to document what’s going on from your point of view.
- Chances are you might have some books around your house that you never got around to reading. The mental stimulation between reading and writing in a journal will help you enjoy your quiet time at home.
MORE INFORMATION ON COVID-19 FROM OCHSNER
- For the latest on COVID-19: Ochsner.org/coronavirus
- Additional health resources: Ochsner.org/coronavirus/covid-19-health-resources
- Virtual urgent care: Ochsner.org/ochsner-anywhere-care
- Video visits with your doctor: Ochsner.org/my-ochsner
To schedule an appointment with Ochsner Baton Rouge, call 225-761-5200.
Click here to report a typo.
Copyright 2020 WAFB. All rights reserved.