BATON ROUGE, La. (WAFB) - Southern University announced Friday, March 13 that it has suspended all games for its winter and sports teams in response to COVID-19, also known as the coronavirus.
“Southern University Department of Intercollegiate Athletics has been, and will continue to monitor the situation with the COVID-19 virus and believes that the health and welfare of our student-athletes, coaches, and staff is of the utmost importance and our first priority,” said athletic director Roman Banks. “We take this situation very seriously and have decided to cancel the winter and spring sports seasons indefinitely. We understand the severity of this decision and how disappointing the news is for our student athletes, coaches, and fans, but we feel it is in the best interest of everyone during this unpredictable time.”
- SWAC cancels rest of men’s and women’s basketball tournaments
- SEC cancels all sports until March 30 amid coronavirus concerns
- NCAA cancels men’s and women’s basketball tournaments, remaining winter and spring championships
- Scrubbed: March Madness leads long list of canceled sports
- Southern University baseball cancels home baseball series due to coronavirus
Officials said they will release additional information as it becomes available.
Click here to report a typo.