Advertisement

51-year-old man dies trying to escape house fire, officials say

Updated: Mar. 2, 2020 at 11:34 AM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

BATON ROUGE, La. (WAFB) - A 51-year-old man died after a house fire that happened in the Glen Oaks neighborhood on Sunday, March 1, according to a spokesperson for the District 6 Fire Department.

The East Baton Rouge Parish Coroner’s Office confirms that Wilbert Alexander, Jr. died from carbon monoxide poisoning caused by the fire.

Crews were called out to Alexander’s home in the 6200 block of Flag Street around 12:38 a.m.

CFD crews were called to assist District 6 Fire Department with a fatal 2nd Alarm house fire shortly after midnight on...

Posted by Central Fire Department on Sunday, March 1, 2020

Ashley Rodrigue, a spokesperson for the Louisiana State Fire Marshal’s Office, says there were two people in the home at the time of the fire. A female tenant was able to escape unharmed and called 911.

Firefighters later found Alexander’s body in a bedroom, according to Rodrigue. Investigators say there is evidence he was trying to escape from the room.

Rodrigue says investigators with the State Fire Marshal’s Office have determined the blaze started in the kitchen and believe the fire was caused by unattended cooking.

Authorities also say the house did not have working smoke alarms.

CLICK HERE for more information on fire safety.

Crews from the Central Fire Department assisted the District 6 Fire Department in responding to the fire. Investigators with the Baton Rouge Fire Departments were also called in for assistance.

Copyright 2020 WAFB. All rights reserved.