BATON ROUGE, La. (WAFB) - The state’s action plan for spending $1.6 billion in funds has been approved by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.
According to a press release, Louisiana is allowed to move forward with its plan, which is expected to drastically reduce flood risk for communities throughout the state.
“HUD’s approval of our plan confirms that Louisiana is headed in the right direction,” Gov. John Bel Edwards said. “We have taken proactive steps and served as a blueprint for other states preparing their own flood mitigation plans to use these federal funds in ways that prioritize data, science and regional collaboration to build resilience in the face of future flooding. With HUD’s blessing, we are prepared to move quickly with our partners statewide to begin implementing this plan and bring immediate relief to Louisiana communities.”
Forty-six parishes have been identified in the action plan as being the most impacted and distressed. HUD approved those and an additional ten parishes HUD initially identified.
The money should become available in spring of 2020.
East Baton Rouge Mayor-President Sharon Weston Broome released a statement Friday, Feb. 21:
“The approval of these funds means East Baton Rouge Parish, and many other parishes in our region and state, can continue advancing flood recovery and watershed mitigation efforts. For our parish, critical projects like enhancements to Ward Creek, Dawson Creek and Hurricane Creek, as well as hardening critical facilities, are now a big step closer to completion. I commend Governor Edwards and his administration for directing these dollars to mitigation efforts, demonstrating to the rest of the nation that focusing on resiliency in advance of future disasters is an approach that is more socially, environmentally and fiscally sustainable.”
Below are some projects the mayor’s office says it plans to use its share of the money for:
- Stormwater Management Plan (59)
- Port Hudson Pride Rd Streambank Stabilization (142)
- Hurricane Creek @ Plank Road Streambank (143)
- Ward Creek @ Siegen Lane (54)
- Harelson Lateral Box Culvert Upgrade (55)
- Dawson Creek @ Hundred Oaks & Broussard (56)
- Acquisition (121)
- Elevations (123)
- Valley Street Warehouse Generator (32)
- Police Evidence Building Generator
- DPW Oper Center Generator
- BR Metro Airport Multiplex Generator
- Animal Control Generator
- Jewel Newman Community Center Generator
- Charles Kelly Community Center Generator
- Dr. Martin L King Jr Community Center Generator
- Dr. Leo Butler Community Center Generator
- Chaneyville Community Center Generator
- EBR Portable Generators (3 each)
- Mosquito Control Generator
- BREC Memorial Stadium Safe Room (78)
- BREC Airline Park Safe Room (84)
- BREC Greenwood Park Safe Room (75)