BRFD responds to small accidental fire at Alex Box Stadium

Accidental fire reported at Alex Box Stadium Saturday

BATON ROUGE, La. (WAFB) - Firefighters were called out to Alex Box Stadium for a fire before 1 a.m. on Saturday, Feb. 15.

The Baton Rouge Fire Department reported crews received the call about the fire at 12:40 a.m.

Officials said members of the LSU Police Department told responding firefighters there was a fire but the sprinkler system had doused the flames.

Alex Box Stadium Small Fire

According to BRFD, police officers said a cardboard box had been put on top of a dryer and caught fire. The firefighters stayed on scene long enough to make sure the fire was out.

Fire officials added the power was turned off temporarily as a precaution. The laundry room and other nearby areas received water damage from the sprinkler system. Officials estimated the damage to be about $25,000.

No. 11 LSU defeated Indiana, 8-1, just a couple hours before the fire department responded to the fire.

RELATED: No. 11 LSU starts season with convincing win over Indiana

There was no indication the fire would affect Saturday’s scheduled doubleheader between LSU and Indiana.

Copyright 2020 WAFB. All rights reserved.