Joe Burrow graces cover of Sports Illustrated
BATON ROUGE, La. (WAFB) - LSU starting quarterback, Joe Burrow, now graces the cover of Sports Illustrated.
The Athens Ohio native has now surpassed 4,000 passing yards in a season. He has now passed for 6,908 yards as a Tiger to jump JaMarcus Russell (6,625 yards) into third place on LSU’s career passing yards list. Burrow has thrown 41 touchdown passes this season.
“We all kind of knew back then, while maybe the rest of the world didn’t know, that Joe was going to be something special," said Chris Kennedy, one of Burrow’s neighbors from his hometown in Ohio.
- Lunch with Coach O: LSU vs Texas A&M Preview
- Three LSU standouts named finalists for national awards
- Stevens, Hampton earn SEC Players of the Week
- Top-ranked Tigers cruise against Arkansas Razorbacks
- Shaquille O’Neal joins in the revelry in Tiger Stadium for LSU vs. Arkansas
- No. 1 LSU down Arkansas 56-20, books SEC title game berth
- Quick strikes keep No. 1 LSU perfect at 11-0
Burrow is also a finalist for the Maxwell Award (College Player of the Year) and the Davey O’Brien National Quarterback Award (Nation’s Best Quarterback). Junior, Grant Delpit, is a finalist for the Thorpe Award (Nations Best Defensive Back), and sophomore, Ja’Marr Chase, is a finalist for the Biletnikoff Award (Outstanding Receiver).
“Am I surprised? Not at all. But to see him on ESPN every day, on CBS every day, on this cover of Sports Illustrated? Of course, it’s surreal," said Nathan White, Burrow’s high school QB coach.
Burrow’s friends and family say they knew he could do something of this magnitude, he just needed an opportunity. He got that shot for the first time in Baton Rouge. Now, folks in his hometown are saying “Heisman” about as often as Tiger fans are.
The Tigers take on Texas A&M in Tiger Stadium on Saturday, Nov. 30 at 6 p.m.
Copyright 2019 WAFB. All rights reserved.