Elderly couple rescued from fourplex fire on Blair Lane

Baton Rouge couple saved from fire

BATON ROUGE, La. (WAFB) - An older couple survived a fourplex fire on Blair Lane Monday morning thanks to the heroic actions of two neighbors.

The fire broke out just after 7 a.m. in a fourplex in the 5100 block of Blair Lane near Summa Avenue. Flames shot through the roof by the time firefighters arrived, and a significant portion of the roof had collapsed.

A couple was rescued from a house fire on Blair Lane Monday, Sept. 9.
A couple was rescued from a house fire on Blair Lane Monday, Sept. 9. (Source: WAFB)
The couple was rescued from the home by a couple of neighbors who saw the smoke and sprang into action.
The couple was rescued from the home by a couple of neighbors who saw the smoke and sprang into action. (Source: WAFB)

Brandon Daniels and his neighbor live just around the corner from the blaze. Daniels says when they saw the smoke, they ran down the road.

“The people were saying they could not get them awake, but they was in the home,” Daniels said.

The couple inside was reportedly having trouble moving around and was not able to get out of the house. Daniels says when he learned they were still inside, he decided to go in.

"Couldn't really see anything,” he said. “It was smoke real bad and he was on the bed and we just kind of rolled him off the bed and got lower to the ground where the smoke wasn't that bad and just drug him out from there."

Despite his heroic actions, Daniels says he’s not a hero.

“I would go in any of them for anybody really. I mean, not just them, if I could help somebody, I’m going to help them. I’m not just going to, I couldn’t live knowing I just let them burn up in there if I could’ve done something and that’s what I wanted to do for myself,” Daniels said.

Paramedics initially reported there was a person who had minor injuries, but later said there were no injuries involved in the house fire.

Copyright 2019 WAFB. All rights reserved.