BATON ROUGE, La. (WAFB) - The Human Jukebox, Southern University’s renowned marching band, performed as one of 20 marching bands joining the Pasadena Tournament of Roses 131st Rose Parade.
The theme for the 2020 parade was “The Power of Hope."
“For us, that is something that we always try to strive for, hoping for the best and wishing for the best, just to be able to be a part of that in 2020, the students are very excited. The Rose Parade is huge. I don’t think people really understand how big it is, but it’s one of the biggest parades that’s out there in the United States,” said Kedric Taylor, band director.
“We’re extremely excited to recognize the hard work the students put in each and every day in their studies and on the field,” said Dawn Mellion.
The Human Jukebox is known around the country for their highly energetic performances lead by the awe-inspiring Dancing Dolls.
Visit https://tournamentofroses.com/events/about-rose-parade/#participants or download the 2020 Marching Band Supplemental Information (PDF) to discover more about each band.
The bands selected are listed below, alphabetically.
- Aguiluchos Marching Band (Puebla, Mexico)
- Alhambra Unified School District Marching Band (Alhambra, California)
- Baldwinsville Marching Bees (Baldwinsville, New York)
- Banda El Salvador: Grande Como Su Gente (El Salvador)
- Banda Municipal de Zarcero (Alajuela, Costa Rica)
- Centenaria Banda Colegial – University of Puerto Rico (Mayaguez, Puerto Rico)
- Dobyns-Bennett High School (Kingsport, Tennessee)
- Greendale High School Marching Band (Greendale, Wisconsin)
- Helsingør Pigegarde (Hornbaek, Denmark)
- Japan Honor Green Band (Kyoto, Japan)
- Kamehameha Warrior Marching Band and Color Guard (Honolulu, Hawaii)
- Los Angeles Unified School District All District Honor Band (Los Angeles, California)
- The PRIDE of Owasso (Owasso, Oklahoma)
- The Pride of Pearland Marching Band (Pearland, Texas)
- Pasadena City College Tournament of Roses Honor Band (Pasadena, California)
- Rancho Verde Crimson Regiment (Moreno Valley, California)
- Southern University “Human Jukebox’ Marching Band (Baton Rouge, Louisiana)
- Tournament of Roses Salvation Army Band (Pasadena, California)
- United States Marine Corps West Coast Composite Band (San Diego, California)
- West Harrison Hurricane Band, The Pride of South Mississippi (Gulfport, Mississippi)
Bands are selected by volunteer members of the Tournament of Roses based on a variety of criteria including musicianship, marching ability, and entertainment or special interest value. In addition to marching in the 5.5-mile Rose Parade on New Year’s Day, bands also performed in one of three Bandfest events scheduled for Dec. 29 and 30 at Pasadena City College.
The band also performed at the Lakers half time show.