BATON ROUGE, La. (WAFB) - LSU will play host to Florida State in a best-of-three NCAA Super Regional starting Saturday at Alex Box Stadium.
The pitching rotation for LSU was released Friday morning. Cole Henry will start Saturday. Landon Marceaux will take the mound first Sunday. Eric Walker will get the nod Monday, if necessary.
For years, 40 wins has been the benchmark for notable college baseball success. LSU just reached that mark by winning the Baton Rouge Regional on June 2. Now, the Tigers face a Florida State program with 39 wins that’s had at least 40 victories every year since 1977.
It was a beautiful sunset Friday evening at Alex Box Stadium after storms passed through the area. Hopefully, the tarp won’t be needed much over the weekend, as LSU and Florida State go head-to-head for a spot in the College World Series.
After steamrolling its way through the Athens Regional and eliminating the No. 4 overall seed Georgia with a pair of dominating victories, Florida State practiced Friday afternoon in Baton Rouge.
FSU head coach Mike Martin is in his 40th and final year leading the Seminoles. The 75-year-old is hoping for one last run at a national title, while also recognizing the great history that will surround him this weekend.
LSU head coach Paul Mainieri often says every weekend in the SEC is like playing a Super Regional. Well, he’s not far off. Of the seven teams that play in the SEC West, five are still alive in the NCAA Tournament, making LSU more than battle tested for FSU.
The FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES
- Overall Record: 3
- Conference Record: 17-13 (finished 3rd in the ACC Atlantic, behind Louisville and NC State)
- Home Record: 28-9
- Away Record: 9-10
- Neutral: 2-2
- FSU 13, FAU 7
- FSU 12, UGA 3
- FSU 10, UGA 1
The Seminoles hit .275 as a team and average 7.0 runs per game, with 111 doubles, 13 triples, 79 home runs.
- Mike Salvatore: .341 batting average, 22 doubles, 4 triples, 7 home runs and 50 RBI
- Robby Martin: .340 batting average, 17 doubles, 4 home runs and 54 RBI
- Drew Mendoza: .320 batting average, 12 doubles, 2 triples, 16 home runs and 55 RBI
- J.C. Flowers: .278 batting average, 11 doubles, 2 triples, 13 home runs and 53 RBI
The Seminole pitching staff has a 4.61 ERA, with 603 strikeouts, 259 walks and 482 hits in 522.2 innings pitched
- CJ Van Eyk: 10-3, 3.71 ERA, 115 strikeouts in 87.1 innings pitched
- J.C. Flowers: 0-0, 1.52 ERA, 11 saves, 22 strikeouts in 23.2 innings pitched
- Chase Haney: 2-2, 2.84 ERA, 1 save, 32 strikeouts in 31.2 innings pitched
- Drew Parrish: 8-5, 5.07 ERA, 112 strikeouts in 81.2 innings pitched
THE (13) LSU TIGERS
- Overall Record: 40-24
- Conference Record: 17-13 (finished 3rd in the SEC West, behind Miss. State and Arkansas)
- Home Record: 30-8
- Away Record: 7-13
- Neutral: 3-3
LSU is scoring 6.7 runs per game and is batting .274 as a team with 98 doubles, 10 triples, and 63 home runs.
LSU’s Top Hitters:
- Josh Smith: .346 batting average, 15 doubles, 2 triples, 9 home runs and 41 RBI
- Antoine Duplantis: .319 batting average, 8 doubles, 3 triples, 11 home runs and 64 RBI
- Zach Watson: .310 batting average, 17 doubles, 7 home runs and 41 RBI
- Saul Garza: .309 batting average, 10 doubles, 5 home runs and 27 RBI
- Cade Beloso: .288 batting average, 3 doubles, 10 home runs and 52 RBI
- Daniel Cabrera: .286 batting average, 12 doubles, 2 triples, 12 home runs and 49 RBI
The Tiger pitching staff has a 4.66 ERA, with 562 strikeouts, 254 walks and 530 hits in 573.0 innings pitched
- Cole Henry: 4-2, 3.51 ERA, 69 strikeouts in 56.1 innings pitched
- Matthew Beck: 3-0, 2.13 ERA, 37 strikeouts in 41.0 innings pitched
- Todd Peterson: 5-2, 3.83 ERA, 3 saves, 40 strikeouts in 44.2 innings pitched
- Devin Fontenot: 5-2, 3.86 ERA, 7 saves, 43 strikeouts in 44.1 innings pitched
- Landon Marceaux: 5-2, 4.64 ERA, 41 strikeouts in 54.1 innings pitched
Baton Rouge Regional:
- LSU 17, Stony Brook 3
- LSU 8, Southern Miss 4
- LSU 6, Southern Miss 4