Sandbags available ahead of possible severe weather
BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - Sandbags are available for Baton Rouge area residents due to the risk of severe weather through the Mother’s Day weekend.
“Take a moment to clear outdoor debris and check your storm and window drains, as well as your gutters,” said Mayor-President Sharon Weston Broome. “Hurricane Season is upon us, so let’s help prepare our community. Ensure you have a method to receive emergency communications, alerts, and local forecast updates.”
Residents are encouraged to bring their own shovels.
MOHSEP staff is monitoring the situation and remains in close communication with the National Weather Service (NWS) forecasters.
Here are the following sandbag locations:
- BREC Airline Highway Fairgrounds – 16072 Airline Hwy.
- BREC Alsen Park – 601 Old Rafe Meyer Rd.
- BREC Cadillac Street – 6117 Cadillac St.
- BREC Doyles Bayou Park – 7801 Port Hudson-Pride Rd.
- BREC Flannery Road Park – 801 South Flannery Rd.
- BREC Hartley-Vey at Gardere Park – 1702 Gardere Ln.
- BREC Memorial Stadium – 1702 Foss St.
- BREC Lovett Road Park – 13443 Lovett Rd.
- St. George Fire Department Headquarters – 14100 Airline Hwy.
West Baton Rouge Parish officials are closely monitoring severe weather. Sand and bags are available at the following locations:
- William & Lee Park - 1631 Louisiana Ave., Port Allen
- Rivault Park - 900 South Jefferson Ave., Port Allen
- Alexander Park - 250 Elaine St., Brusly
- Erwinville Park - 5110 Rougon Rd., Port Allen
- Myhand Park - 8201 Laws Rd., Addis
Click here for real-time info on updated sandbag locations.
Download the WAFB First Alert Weather app to track the latest in your local weather.
Copyright 2019 WAFB. All rights reserved.