BROWNSFIELD, LA (WAFB) - The Louisiana Office of State Fire Marshal said Tuesday, April 30, there does not appear to be a larger issue or citable violations at an apartment complex where a mother and 8-year-old child were killed in a fire.
Questions were raised when deputies found a “holder” attachment for smoke alarms in the downstairs area of unit without an actual smoke alarm inside.
During later searches, deputies located a smoke detector in a holder in the upstairs section of the unit that was in working order. Additionally, deputies confirmed the other units at the complex do contain working smoke alarms. The complex also had no noted violations dating back to 2016.
The East Baton Rouge Coroner’s Office says the victims were Dominique Holden, 34, and Iyona Holden, 8, who both died of carbon monoxide poisoning.
The fire broke out overnight in the 5000 block of Baker Boulevard on Saturday, April 13.
According to officials, Holden’s husband came home from working a night shift and called 911.
The Brownsfield Fire Department responded at 6:28 a.m. They say the fire was already out on arrival.
Officials believe the source of the fire was an unattended pot on the stove. According to the Louisiana Office of State Fire Marshal, the damage was limited to the unit where the fire occurred.