BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - As temperatures begin to drop in the Baton Rouge area, the Salvation Army is opening its cold weather shelter for men.
The Salvation Army is offering hot meals and beds to men at the Center of Hope, located at 7361 Airline Highway. Check-in begins at 4 p.m. on Monday, Jan. 28. The shelter will remain open until temperatures rise above 40°. Men will be required to present ID upon check-in.
“The Salvation Army is committed to serve the most vulnerable members of our community. Our shelter will remain as necessary to provide a safe environment,” said Major Don Tekautz.
The American Red Cross is also offering tips to residents to protect their family and property during the extreme cold weather. With many people using space heaters to warm their homes, the Red Cross wants to remind people that home heating is the second leading cause of house fires in the country.
- All heaters need space. Keep children, pets, and things that can burn (paper, matches, bedding, furniture, clothing, carpets, rugs, etc. ) at least three feet away from heating equipment.
- If you must use a space heater, place it on a level, hard, and nonflammable surface (such as ceramic tile floor), not on rugs, carpets, or near bedding or drapes. Plug power cords directly into outlets, never into an extension cord.
- Never leave a fire in the fireplace unattended, and use a glass or metal fire screen to keep fire and embers in the fireplace
- Never use a cooking range or oven to heat your home
- Turn off portable space heaters every time you leave the room or go to sleep
- Wear layers of clothing: a hat, mittens, and waterproof, insulated boots
- Check on your neighbors, especially elderly people living alone, people with disabilities, and children
- Bring pets indoors. If they can’t come inside, make sure they have enough shelter to keep them warm and that they can get to unfrozen water
- Make sure everyone has their seat belts on and give your full attention to the road
- Don’t follow other vehicles too closely. Sudden stops are difficult on snowy or icy roadways.
- Don’t use cruise control when driving in winter weather
- Ramps, bridges, and overpasses freeze before roadways