BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - Investigators with Louisiana State Police (LSP) have arrested Daveon D. Coates, 17, who investigators believe may be connected to several vehicle burglaries throughout the Greater Baton Rouge area.
According to LSP, the Louisiana State Police Fugitive Apprehension Unit arrested Coates at a residence in Baton Rouge. Coates was arrested in relation to an a investigation into a crime dating back to October of 2018 in which he allegedly broke the window of an unmarked unit belonging to Louisiana State Police and stole a Glock 17 9mm handgun and other items.
Investigators searched the residence while arresting Coates and located the following stolen and/or illegal items:
- the Glock 17 9mm pistol (stolen from the LSP unit)
- a Ruger AR-15 .223/5.56 rifle and ballistic vest (reported as stolen from an EBR Parish Sheriff’s Office unit)
- multiple bags containing Glock and AR-15 magazines
- various ammunition
- various narcotics (including heroin, meth, and marijuana) and paraphernalia
- various burglary tools (glass breaking hammers, gloves, rubber mask, wigs, etc.)
Coates was booked into the East Baton Rouge Parish Prison on the outstanding simple burglary warrant, in addition to the following charges:
- Possession of Stolen Things
- Poss. W/ Intent to Distribute Sch. I (Heroin)
- Poss. W/ Intent to Distribute Sch. II (Methamphetamine)
- Possession of Drug Paraphernalia
- Possession of Controlled Dangerous Substance in a Drug Free Zone
- Poss. Of Sch. I (Marijuana)
- Illegal Carrying of a Firearm
Anyone that may have further information, or feel that they were a victim of a crime involving Coates, is urged to call Louisiana State Police Detectives at 225-925-3703 or Crime Stoppers at 225-344-STOP. Citizens can also report suspicious activity anonymously through the Louisiana State Fusion Center at http://lsp.org/help.html.