AROUND THE HOUSE :
When going on vacation or out-of-town for any reason
- Don't publicize vacations ahead of time. Burglars watch for newspaper accounts.
- Stop deliveries of newspapers and mail. An Authorization to Hold Mail card (PS8076) may be obtained from your mail delivery person or picked up at your nearest Post Office. Or - have a friend pick them up while you are gone.
- Arrange to have the lawn mowed.
- Leave information where you can be contacted in an emergency with a trusted neighbor and ask them to keep an eye on your house.
- Give your house a lived-in appearance.
- Have a neighbor occasionally use your garbage can.
- Put automatic timers on several lights and a radio. Set them so they will turn on and off at random times in different rooms, especially the bathroom. Do not leave lights on 24 hours a day.
- Leave drapes in a normal position to maintain a lived-in appearance.
- Turn the bell on the telephone down to low.
- Have a neighbor park in your driveway or in front of your house.
ON THE ROAD
While you are on your vacation, you can greatly increase our protection by taking the following safety precautions.