You can make a thief's job significantly more difficult by obeying these guidelines:
- Lock your bike where there's heavy foot traffic. Always use a kryptonite-type lock.
- If you set down your purse or backpack, know where it is at all times. Never leave your belongings unattended.
- Always keep the door to your apartment or dorm room locked. Dead bolts and other such safety lock devices provide added protection.
- Never let strangers inside your home.
- Do not leave spare keys under the doormat or in other obvious hiding places.
- Inscribe items of value with your driver's license number.