2 large onions, diced
2 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp cumin seed
3 medium carrots, chopped
2 ribs celery, sliced
3 small jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
128-ounce can crushed tomatoes
2 cups cooked or canned black beans, rinsed
6-12oz. tomato juice
1 cup (4 oz.) shredded Mozzarella cheese
1 cup (4 oz.) reduced fat shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 cup (4 oz.) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Saute' onions in oil over medium high heat in large saucepan until translucent, about three minutes.
- Add tomato paste, chili powder, cocoa powder, and cumin, and cook until mixture caramelizes to a dark brown, about ten minutes.
- Stir in carrots, celery and jalapenos and stir to coat.
- Add crushed tomatoes and beans.
- Stir in tomato juice to your preferred consistency.
- Simmer for at least an hour, but only up to two hours.
- Preheat broiler.
- Stir Mozzarella and Monterey Jack cheese into chili and top with shredded Cheddar.
- Broil until cheese is bubbly, about four minutes.