The nostalgic flavor of fresh ginger and mint is an invitation to open all the senses.
Serves 2 - 4
1 pound (yields 8 to 10 kabobs) Ground turkey
2 tablespoons Olive oil
2 teaspoons Touch of India spice
1 teaspoon or to taste Salt
2 teaspoons, minced Ginger
2 seeded, finely chopped Green chilies
2 finely chopped Scallions with green tops
1/2 cup finely chopped (save 1 tbsp. for garnish) Mint leaves (fresh)
1 teaspoon Lemon juice (fresh)
1 egg white Egg
1 tablespoon Gram flour (Besan)
- In a mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients except oil and gram flour. Mix well.
- Wet your hands so the meat won¹t stick. Make 8-10 balls approximately 1 and 1/2 inch in diameter Roll balls into sausage-shaped kabobs. Each kabob should be 2-3 inches long and 1 inch in diameter.
- Place kabobs on a cooking sheet, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour. When ready to cook, sprinkle gram flour over kabobs using a fine strainer.
- Heat a heavy-bottomed sauté pan. Add olive oil.
- Sear a few kabobs at a time over medium-high heat. Shake the pan and roll kabobs back and forth until the meat turns dark golden brown.
- Repeat the process until all the kabobs are done. Keep seared kabobs warm in a separate dish (add extra oil to the pan if needed).
- After the last batch is done, return all the kabobs to the pan. Turn the heat on high, and, as the kabobs begin to sizzle; cover the pan, turn the heat off and let sit for 10 minutes.
- When ready to serve, turn the heat on high for a few seconds for the juices to evaporate. Pat kabobs dry on a paper towel and transfer them to a serving dish. Sprinkle with saved mint and serve with chutney of choice.
NOTE: This recipe can also be made with ground beef or chicken.
Cilantro chutney is a universal dipping sauce to complement any dish and/or appetizer.
Makes 1 cup
2 cups, chopped with stems* Cilantro (fresh)
1/2 cup, seeded and chopped Green bell pepper
3 tablespoons Lemon juice (fresh)
1 tablespoon Lime juice (fresh)
2 medium, seeded Green chilies
2 whole, chopped Scallions with green tops
1/2 teaspoon Sugar
1/2 teaspoon Salt
- Put all the ingredients into a blender. Blend them until the mixture is smooth. Add water as needed. The mixture should be smooth, not watery.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl; cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.