2 medium eggplant (about 3-4 pounds)
4 ounces (1/2 stick) butter
1 and 1/2 cups red onion, diced
5 toes garlic, chopped
14 oz. can petite diced tomatoes, drained
1 pound crabmeat, picked free of shells
salt to taste
black pepper to taste
cayenne pepper to taste
1 Tbsp. chicken base, optional
1/2 cup sliced green onions
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1 cup plain or Italian breadcrumbs (plus additional for topping)
Parmesan cheese, optional
- Peel and cube eggplant and soak in salted water for fifteen minutes.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil and blanch eggplant for ten minutes in lightly salted water.
- Remove to a colander and drain well pressing out the excess water.
- In a large heavy bottom pot heat butter over medium high heat and add red onion and garlic. When vegetables become tender add drained tomatoes and blanched eggplant.
- Season to taste with salt, peppers and base. If using Italian breadcrumbs remember that this will add salt to dish so be wary when adding salt at this point.
- Simmer on low for about fifteen minutes and fold in crabmeat.
- Remove from heat and fold in breadcrumbs.
- Place in a large casserole and spread out evenly. Sprinkle lightly with breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese.
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for thirty minutes or until hot.