1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
1 cup thinly sliced celery
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon cooking oil
1-1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into bite-size pieces
28-ounces chicken stock
32-ounces cooked diced red potatoes
2 cups half and half
8 ounces of Monterrey Jack Cheese
1 16 ounce jar of Rotelle
2 fresh diced green chilli peppers
Baked Corn Chips
Green onions for garnish
- In a 6 quart Dutch oven, cook and stir onion, celery, and garlic in hot oil over medium heat for 5 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Add chicken, broth, and potatoes.
- Bring to boil; reduce heat. Simmer, covered for 15 to 18 minutes or until chicken is done and potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile in a medium bowl, stir cream mixture into soup mixture.
- Stir in cheese, salsa and green chillies, reduce heat to low.
- Cook and stir until cheese is melted.
- Serve with corn chips. Makes 16 servings. Peppers can be sauteed before adding so they will be tender. If you add less peppers, it will not be as hot.
INGREDEINTS for Salsa
2 cups seeded, chopped tomatoes
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
6 cloves fresh chopped garlic
1/2 an onion chopped
1 teaspoon jalapenos, finely chopped
1 teaspoon salt
Mix all ingredients until well incorporated. Lightly mash with back of fork for about 10 seconds to help release juices. Refrigerate overnight for maximum flavor.
INGREDIENTS for Salsa Verde:
Green salsas are almost always more mild than red salsas. The main difference between regular salsa and salsa verde is that tomatillos are used instead of red tomatoes. Due to the tomatillos salsa verde has a tangy, zesty flavor with the underlying tastes of hearty roasted green chiles and onions.
12-15 tomatillos, husks removed, quartered
5 cloves of garlic
1 medium white or yellow onion, skin removed, coarsely chopped
1 bunch cilantro
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 jalepeno, seeds removed
3 large green chiles, roasted and skins removed
1 tablespoon lime juice