Tuesday, December 26, 2006
4 Tbl Spoons Vegetable Oil
11 cups Water
1 1/2 Tbl Spoons Garlic, Minced
1 (10) Oz. can Rotel
3 Cups Onions, (yellow) chopped Tomatoes (drained)
1/2 Cup bellpepper, chopped
1/2 pound crabmeat (claw)
1/4 Cup celery, (chopped)
1/4 cup okra, sliced (boiled in vinegar
1 1/2 Tbl Spoons Salt & water, drained)
1/2 Tsp Cayenne Pepper
1/2 pound crabmeat (backfin)
2 Bay Leaves
1/2 cup Green Onions (chopped)
1/2 Cup Dark Roux
1/2 pound fresh peeled 91/110 shrimp
2 1/2 Tbl Spoons Seafood Stock
- In a small saucepan, sauté garlic in vegetable oil until golden brown.
- In large pot combine yellow onions, bell peppers, celery, and sautéed garlic. Cover and simmer 10 to 15 minutes over low heat.
- Add salt, cayenne pepper, bay leaves, dark roux and seafood stock. Stir.
- Add Rotel tomatoes and water. Stir.
- Add claw crabmeat.. Cook gumbo over low heat for one hour or more.
- Add okra, white crabmeat, green onions, and shrimp.
- Cover and cook until shrimp are done.
- Server over rice.
Serves 6 to 8
INGREDIENTS for Dark Roux
1 1/2 Cups of Cottonseed Oil
2 Cups of Self Rising Flour
PROCEDURE: In a large Sauce Pan, heat oil over high heat. Gradually add flour while continuing to stir. Cook over medium heat until dark brown.
INGREDIENTS for Seafood Stock
2 Pounds Fish Bones
1 Whole Onion, Sliced
3 Stalks of Celery
2 Gallons of Water
PROCEDURE: In a large pot, combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for two hours or more. Stain stock, discarding bones and vegetables.