If you are HURRICANE AWARE you will be able to answer these three questions:
- What are the Hurricane Hazards?
- Storm Surge , Marine Hazards , Tornadoes , High Winds , and Inland Flooding
- What does it mean to you?
- Do you live in a Surge Zone? On a Barrier Island? In an area prone to flooding? In a strong sturdy home?
- What actions should you take to be prepared?
- Family Disaster Plan , Disaster Supply Kit , Secure your home , Have a place to go , and Stay Aware
Be sure to ask other family members, friends and neighbors if they are HURRICANE AWARE too.
|TAKING ACTION is as easy as 1-2-3: |
| || || |
Before Hurricane Season Starts YOU SHOULD:
| ||Assemble your Disaster Supply Kit. |
These items are often scattered around your home and simply need to be brought together into one location.
| ||Write out your Family Disaster Plan. |
Discuss the possible hazards with your family. Determine if you are in an evacuation area. Identify an out-of-town family contact.
When a Hurricane Watch is issued YOU SHOULD:
| ||Check your Disaster Supply Kit. |
Make sure nothing is missing. Determine if there is anything you need to supplement your kit. Replenish your water.
| ||Activate your Family Disaster Plan. |
Protective measures should be initiated, especially those actions that require extra time (for example, securing a boat or leaving a barrier island).
When a Hurricane Warning is issued YOU SHOULD:
| ||Ready your Disaster Supply Kit for use. |
If you need to evacuate, you should bring your Supply Kit with you.
| ||Use your Family Disaster Plan. |
Your family should be in the process of completing protective actions and deciding the safest location to be during the storm.
(Information Courtesy of NOAA)