1. Always eat breakfast! Your metabolism will not begin to function properly until you have food in your stomach. If your wait until late morning or early afternoon to eat, your metabolism will run slower.
2. Rather than eating a large meal three times a day, eat 4 to 6 small meals throughout the day. Be sure to space these small meals 2 to 3 hours apart.
3. Don't under-eat to lose weight. Your body will see this as starvation and it will struggle to hold onto the fat and water that it has retained. In essence, your metabolism will shut down. Be sure not to have more than a 5 to 6 hour gap between your small meals (except while sleeping, of course!)
4. Plan your meals in advance. Prepare your lunch and take it with you. A common mistake is to eat too little throughout the day. This may leave you vulnerable to eating junk food or swinging through a drive-thru.
5. Commit yourself to exercise! Take the stairs instead of the elevator, park further away and walk. There is no better cure for slow metabolism than exercise. Attempt to walk as much as possible. Be sure to get your heart rate up by walking for 30 to 40 minutes.
6. Drink plenty of water! The body needs water just as it needs food. If you do not take in enough water, your body will retain the water that it has stored. Most doctors will recommend 8 to 10 - 8oz. glasses per day.
7. Increase your protein intake. When you lose weight, you also lose protein from your muscles. Be sure to keep them strong by adding proteins to your diet. Adult men, women, and teenage children should have 2 servings per day, totaling 6oz. per day.