This recipe keeps all your favorite ingredients but is wrapped in fat-free phyllo dough instead of high-fat pastry of the traditional recipe.
4 large golden apples with stems
1 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsps lightly toasted chopped pecans
2 Tbsps brown sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
8 sheets frozen phyllo dough, thawed (keep covered to prevent drying)
2 Tbsps maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Spray a baking or cookie sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Peel the apples without removing the stems.
- Cut a thin slice from the bottom of each apple so they will stand up without falling over.
- Using a melon-baller, core the apples 3/4 of the way through from the bottom (never from the top)
- Holding apples upside down, fill each apple with a bit of butter, pecans, brown sugar and cinnamon
- Place 2 phyllo sheets on a large cutting board, lightly spray the sheets with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place 1 apple upside down in center of the phyllo, pushing the apple stems through the dough.
- Wrap the dough around the apple and gather edges around the bottom of the apple.
- Place prepared apple on perpared baking sheet or cookie sheet. and then spray the dough with the nonstick cooking cpray.
- Repeat steps 7 through 10 with the rest of the apples.
- Bake the apples for 30-40 minutes until dough is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool for at least 30 minutes.
- Before serving, drizzle maple syrup over each apple.