BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - A man is in critical condition after he was rescued from a burning apartment early Saturday morning.
The Baton Rouge Fire Department said crews were called out to an apartment complex on Sharp Lane around 3:45 a.m.
Curt Monte with BRFD said firefighters found the man inside the burning apartment and rescued him. He added the victim was rushed to the hospital by EMS and is in critical condition. His name was not released.
Officials have not yet determined whether the apartment had working smoke detectors.
The fire started in the kitchen and was caused by food being cooked left unattended, according to investigators.
Officials said the rest of the apartment had heavy smoke damage.