(WAFB) - Two more contractors have been arrested on fraud charges after the August 2016 flood. They are Jon Bridgers, 47, of Walker, and Tommy Boise, 51, of Baton Rouge.
Doise is accused of fraudulently taking a payment of $17,240.27 from the victim after performing partial repairs to the victim's home and failing to contact the victim. Doise reportedly entered into a contract with the victim on December 19, 2016 and received the initial check from the victim on January 27, 2017. Doise reportedly performed minimal repairs over the next few months, only partially installing the sheetrock, some baseboards, and partially painting.
Doise then reportedly asked the victim for more money, which she did not provide. The victim says no noticeable work was done on her house between July and October of 2017 and that she lost all contact with Doise in October of 2017.
Doise is charged with felony residential contractor fraud.
A similar story can be told for Bridgers, who reportedly entered into a contract with the victim on October 14, 2016 to rebuild his home, which was damaged by the flood. A $15,000 down payment was made.
The victim says Bridgers worked until about May or June of 2017, when he was given another payment of $17,000 on January 23, 2017. The victim says he then paid Bridgers $7,500 on July 25, 2017 since Bridgers reportedly said he was almost done with the work. Then, Bridgers was provided with another $6,600 payment for tile installation, which the victim says Bridgers never completed.
The victim claims Bridgers did finish the insulation, drywall, flooring, and cabinets. He also says there was an accident in which Bridgers ruined carpet that had been installed, but that Bridgers told him he would take care of it.
The victim says Bridgers was also given $2,800 for counter tops that were never installed. Then, the victim returned home in October of 2017 to check on the progress, but Bridgers still wasn't done. By November of 2017, the victim says he still could not get Bridgers to finish the work. He paid another contractor $5,500 to complete the job. The victim reportedly paid Bridgers a total of $51,297.
On April 10, 2018, it was discovered Bridgers is not properly licensed with the Louisiana State Licensing Board of Contractors. Bridgers claims he was unaware he had to be licensed to jobs costing over $7,500.
During the investigation, the East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff's Office, acting as a mediator between the victim and Bridgers, received an estimated $3,200 from Bridgers for the counter tops, among other things. The amount was given to the victim, who then said it was not enough. EBRSO scheduled a meeting between the two parties to take place on May 3, 2018. The victim then said the amount of $17,400 was spent to complete the job, which Bridgers allegedly didn't finish. Bridgers said he would not pay the amount unless he saw receipt substantiating the cost. The victim reportedly said he would only provide the receipts after he was given the money. A deadline was set for May 8 for Bridgers to provide the funds. After Bridgers received the money from his bank and scheduled a meeting for May 9, the victim reportedly told the sheriff's office he no longer wanted the money since it was past the deadline.
Bridgers also alleges there were many communication issues between him and the victim and that at one point, he assumed he was fired from the job because of the victim reportedly saying he was hiring other people. Bridgers also stated it was difficult to complete the job because the victim took the key, which was given to him because of a mishap. Bridgers also says he warned the victim it would take a long time to complete the job because of the number of projects he was working on.