ASCENSION PARISH, LA (WAFB) - Whether you realize it or not, your home might have household materials that can be harmful for your home.
In effort of properly disposing of these toxic materials, multiple Ascension Parish agencies are hosting a household hazardous materials collections day on June 2.
The collections event is for Ascension Parish residents only, who would need to provide a valid ID at the event located at the Dixon Expo Center Barn 6.
Local agencies, including the Ascension Parish Government and sheriff's department, ask residents to enter the expo center from Ashland Road. The event will go on from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
According to the Environmental Protection Agency, products, such as paints, cleaners, oils, batteries, and pesticides likely contain hazardous ingredients and require proper disposal.
For the Ascension event, the following materials will be accepted for collection:
- Automobile Tires
- Household Batteries Appliances (scrap metal)
- Car and Golf Cart Batteries
- Ink and Toner Cartridges
- Telephone Systems
- Cell Phones and Batteries
- Latex and Oil Based Paints
- Video Cameras (DVR’s)
- Electronic Equipment
- Thinners and Varnishes
- Computer Accessories
- Fluorescent Bulbs Scrap Metal—Small Quantities
- Xboxes, Play Stations, Wii
- Gasoline, Oil, Antifreeze
- Rechargeable Batteries
- Fax Machines
- Home and Garden Chemicals
- Monitors, printers
The following materials won't be accepted:
- radioactive materials
- medical waste
- high school lab waste
- commercial governmental facility waste
- aluminum cans
- hurricane debris or woody materials