Officials examine recreation centers that could be used as emergency personnel shelters

Officials examine recreation centers that could be used as emergency personnel shelters

BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - New shelters are in the works thanks to a partnership between BREC and the city-parish.

After the 2016 flood, officials approached BREC about using hazard mitigation grant funding from FEMA to build three new recreation centers that would double as safe rooms or emergency personnel shelters.

The sites under consideration for renovations are Greenwood Community Park, the Airline Highway Park, and Memorial Stadium.

We're told these facilities would ensure emergency personnel can be positioned as close as possible to a disaster to speed up response times.

If FEMA approves the plans, the construction costs, along with architect and engineering fees, would be funded 75 percent by the agency, with BREC matching the remaining 25 percent

Copyright 2018 WAFB. All rights reserved.