Caught on camera: Mother, son arrested after street fight over movie theater confrontation

Lamount and Jerrilyn Hollis (Source: East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff's Office)
Lamount and Jerrilyn Hollis (Source: East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff's Office)

BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - A mother and her adult son were arrested for a fight that happened in the middle of a busy intersection. A large portion of the incident was captured on camera and posted to social media.

According to investigators with the East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff's Office, the fight was due to a confrontation that happened in the Cinemark Perkins Rowe movie theater on Sunday, April 29.

"The victim stated the accused stayed on her phone throughout the movie," states the probable cause report. "He asked her to get off of the phone, but she stayed on the phone. When leaving the theater, the victim stated the accused and the co-defendant, the accused's son who was sitting in front of her, followed them out of the theater."

The woman and her son were later identified as Jerrilyn and Lamount Hollis.

"The victim was talking to his wife about the rude behavior of the accused," the report continued. "The accused told him 'And so what?' He stated the co-defendant told him not to talk to his mother like that. He stated that he did not want to have an issue and left."

The victim, his wife, and stepdaughter left in their vehicle. They turned on Perkins Road and were stopped at the red light at the Bluebonnet intersection when the victim claims he was blasted with pepper spray through the open window.

"[Lamount] came to his window and began punching him in the face," states the report. "The victim pushed his door open to push [him] back. He got out of the car and tried to protect himself, swinging at [Lamount]."

What happened next was captured on camera by Baton Rouge resident Jason Guerin. He posted the 1:13 video to Facebook and it's been shared thousands of times.

The video does not, however, show what happened before both men were out of the vehicle. It only shows the physical altercation.

The victim was seriously injured, states the report. A doctor confirmed to investigators he suffered several fractures to his right eye, had cuts on his neck and back, and had a gash on the back right side of his head.

While the investigator was at the hospital talking to the victim, Jerrilyn and Lamount arrived at the hospital as well.

Jerrilyn reportedly confirmed what happened at the theater and added the victim was being "rude about her being on her phone." Her account of what happened next opposes the victim's claim.

"She stated they all left the theater and the victim followed them to the light at Perkins and Grand," states the report. "The victim got out of his car banging on the accused's car. The co-defendant and they started fighting. [She] pepper sprayed the victim to get him off [Lamount]."

They went to the hospital because Lamount had a cut on the right side of his lips and face, which required stitches.

Based on the evidence, the deputy believed the victim and found Jerrilyn and Lamount to be at fault. Both were arrested and booked into the East Baton Rouge Parish Prison.

Jerrilyn was charged with simple battery. She was released after posting a $4,000 bond.

Lamount was charged with second degree battery. He was released after posting a $20,000 bond.

Copyright 2018 WAFB. All rights reserved.