BAKER, LA (WAFB) - A Zachary undercover police officer, who was also a firefighter, was killed on March 12, 2018 after being run over by a U-Haul truck in a Walmart parking lot.
The East Baton Rouge Parish Coroner's Office identified the victim as Christopher Lawton, 41.
The East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff's Office reports Albert Franklin, 33, and Ashley Chaney, 30, have been arrested in connection with the case. Deputies say Franklin will be charged with first degree murder, hit and run, damage to property, and as a fugitive from the Zachary Police Department. They added Chaney will be charged with obstruction of justice.
Lawton was killed while undercover at the Walmart with another officer attempting to serve a felony drug-related warrant. He was pinned between the U-Haul truck and a grocery cart receptacle as the suspect attempted to flee. He was pronounced dead on the scene.
Related stories are listed with the most recent at the top:
- Nonprofit sends scripture-inscribed dog tags, pendants to Zachary Police Dept. in honor of fallen officer
- Man accused of killing Zachary reserve officer withdraws bond reduction request
- Benefit to be held for police officer, firefighter killed in hit and run while serving warrant
- Man accused of killing Zachary police officer, firefighter pleads not guilty to drug charges
- THE INVESTIGATORS: DA's office was not aware Judge White reduced Franklin's bond
- 5K run to honor fallen ‘double hero’
- Autopsy shows Zachary reserve officer died from blunt force trauma
- Arrangements set for fallen Zachary police officer remembered as a 'double hero'
- Fallen Zachary police officer remembered as a 'double hero'
- Zachary Chief: Judge White 'has blood on her hands'
- OUR TURN: Zachary Officer Killed
- OUTRAGE: Suspect in officer death previous subject of 9News Investigation
- Undercover police officer killed in hit and run; 2 arrested
On the go? Take WAFB with you. Download the WAFB 9News App on your iOS or Android device for the latest news, traffic, alerts, and 24/7 live streaming wherever you are.