PORT ALLEN, LA (WAFB) - Emergency officials responded to a fully-involved house fire in Port Allen Friday night.
The call went out just before 9 p.m. on Friday, March 9. Emergency officials say everyone made it out of the house safely.
Port Allen's Fire Chief Kenny Huntz says the fire started in the fireplace and doesn't appear to be criminal.
Our reporter on the scene has learned the home belongs to Mayor Richard Lee's father and stepmother. Lee's father built much of the house himself about 48 years ago, we're told.
Multiple agencies are responding to the scene. It's currently unclear how the fire started. Flames could initially be seen all the way from the Mississippi River Bridge.
The fire was mostly brought under control around 9:50 p.m. Firefighters were still working to put out hot spots at that point.