BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - Firefighters battled a blaze early Sunday morning because they were in the right place at the right time.
A crew from the Baton Rouge Fire Department was driving in a neighborhood located off Lee Drive a few blocks from Highland Road when they noticed the smoke.
According to officials, the fire was located on the back patio of the home. The flames breached the roof and there was extensive smoke coming from the attic when firefighters arrived.
Thankfully, the crew was able to get the blaze under control quickly.
Five people were inside the home while all of this was happening outside. They escaped unharmed due to the keen eye and quick action of firefighters.
"Investigators have determined this fire was caused by a candle being left unattended outside," said Curt Monte, a spokesperson for the Baton Rouge Fire Department. "The candle ignited the wicker furniture."