VERMILION PARISH, LA (WAFB) - A Vermilion Parish middle school teacher was removed and subsequently arrested after speaking out during a school board meeting on Monday, January 8. The teacher will not face charges, according to the Abbeville city prosecutor.
During the meeting, the board voted to renew Superintendent Jerome Puyau's contract for three years. KATC reported that Puyau's salary would increase from $110,190 to $140,188 with his new contract. The new contract also includes incentives for additional pay raises based on his performance.
Deyshia Hargrave, an English teacher at Rene Rost Middle School, addressed the school board during the public comment portion of the meeting, speaking out against the pay raises.
Hargrave reportedly asked the board several questions and was ruled "out of order" by school board president, Anthony Fontana. He warned Hargrave the public comment section was not a question and answer session.
When Hargrave was called on for the second time and posed another question, she was approached by an Abbeville city marshal. The marshal then removed her from the meeting.
The marshal handcuffed Hargrave while she was leaving the building and a brief struggle ensued as Hargrave screamed on the floor while the marshal tried to gain control of her.
The story has since been picked up by national media outlets, including CBS, FOX, The New York Times, The Washington Post, Yahoo, Buzzfeed, and many others.
People across the country reacted on social media after watching the dramatic video. Most were in support of Hargrave.
Stories are arranged with the most recent at the top of the list.
- Teachers' unions hosting rally Thursday for teacher arrested at school board meeting
- School board president: Everybody wants to take the side of the 'poor little woman'
- La. Assoc. of Educators releases video statement from teacher after dramatic arrest at school board meeting
- Alleged death threats, social media firestorm ensue after teacher arrested during school board meeting
- Arrest of Louisiana teacher at school board meeting gains national attention, reaction
- Teacher arrested after speaking out at Vermilion Parish school board meeting