How it works: Federal tax reform bill means victims of historic - WAFB 9 News Baton Rouge, Louisiana News, Weather, Sports

How it works: Federal tax reform bill means victims of historic flood can write off more in damages

This aerial photograph shows flooding in the Baton Rouge area in August 2016. Residents affected by the flood can now amended their 2016 returns to get more money back thanks to tweaks to the tax code. (Source: WAFB) This aerial photograph shows flooding in the Baton Rouge area in August 2016. Residents affected by the flood can now amended their 2016 returns to get more money back thanks to tweaks to the tax code. (Source: WAFB)
BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) -

Louisiana residents affected by the March and August floods of 2016 can get some extra money back on their federal tax return thanks to tweaks to the tax code included in the overhaul passed by Congress this week.

If you deducted casualty loss from either flood when you filed your 2016 taxes, you now can retroactively file an amended tax return, according to J David Shoptaugh, a certified public accountant in Baton Rouge.

Shoptaugh explains that before the overhaul was passed, taxpayers were required to deduct 10 percent of their income from the casualty loss they were deducting. Now, those affected by last year’s flood can deduct the total amount of casualty loss.

Rep. Garret Graves - (R) Baton Rouge, who represents Louisiana’s 6th congressional district, told WAFB’s Kevin Frey that residents have three years from when they filed their 2016 tax return to file an amendment.

Graves also recommends residents keep all documentation of costs relating to the flood, such as invoice from contractors or receipts of building supplies from hardware stores. The congressman says it’s important to keep those documents “in the event that an audit [from the IRS] comes up in the future.” He also suggests if residents are unsure about filing an amendment to consult with a tax preparer. 

RELATED: Proof of loss deadline for NFIP policyholders of Dec. 31 will not be extended

Copyright 2017 WAFB. All rights reserved.

  • Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

  • Man admits slaying wife, blames her for daughters' deaths

    Man admits slaying wife, blames her for daughters' deaths

    Tuesday, August 21 2018 12:15 AM EDT2018-08-21 04:15:23 GMT
    Tuesday, August 21 2018 9:41 AM EDT2018-08-21 13:41:49 GMT
    Christopher Watts, 33, faces three first-degree murder charges, two counts of murdering a child under 12, one count of unlawful termination of a pregnancy and three counts of tampering with a deceased human body. (Source: Weld County Sheriff/KMGH/CNN)Christopher Watts, 33, faces three first-degree murder charges, two counts of murdering a child under 12, one count of unlawful termination of a pregnancy and three counts of tampering with a deceased human body. (Source: Weld County Sheriff/KMGH/CNN)

    The father of two told police in court papers released Monday that he killed his pregnant wife after witnessing her strangling one of the girls on a baby monitor.

    More >>

    The father of two told police in court papers released Monday that he killed his pregnant wife after witnessing her strangling one of the girls on a baby monitor.

    More >>
  • US deports former Nazi camp guard, 95, to Germany

    US deports former Nazi camp guard, 95, to Germany

    Tuesday, August 21 2018 4:18 AM EDT2018-08-21 08:18:16 GMT
    Tuesday, August 21 2018 9:39 AM EDT2018-08-21 13:39:12 GMT
    The deportation of the 95-year-old former concentration camp guard, Jakiw Palij, came 25 years after investigators first confronted him about his World War II past and he admitted lying to get into the U.S. (Source: Department of Justice)The deportation of the 95-year-old former concentration camp guard, Jakiw Palij, came 25 years after investigators first confronted him about his World War II past and he admitted lying to get into the U.S. (Source: Department of Justice)

    The White House says a 95-year-old former Nazi concentration camp guard has been deported to Germany, 14 years after a judge ordered him deported.

    More >>

    The White House says a 95-year-old former Nazi concentration camp guard has been deported to Germany, 14 years after a judge ordered him deported.

    More >>
  • 3-year-old found dead in dryer, father says

    3-year-old found dead in dryer, father says

    Tuesday, August 21 2018 7:16 AM EDT2018-08-21 11:16:10 GMT

    Authorities have yet to determine a cause of death for a boy found dead at a townhouse. The boy's father said after a rough night, he found the boy dead in the dryer.

    More >>

    Authorities have yet to determine a cause of death for a boy found dead at a townhouse. The boy's father said after a rough night, he found the boy dead in the dryer.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly