John Schroder takes over as Louisiana's new treasurer - WAFB 9 News Baton Rouge, Louisiana News, Weather, Sports

John Schroder takes over as Louisiana's new treasurer

John Schroder (Source: WAFB) John Schroder (Source: WAFB)
KENNER, LA (WAFB) -

Louisiana's newly elected state treasurer officially took over the position on Dec. 5.

John Schroder, a Republican, was sworn in during a ceremony in Kenner on Tuesday evening. 

A businessman and long-time state legislator from Covington, Schroder bested his Democratic rival Derrick Edwards in the Nov. 18 runoff election. Schroder got roughly 56 percent of the vote, leaving the New Orleans Democrat with just 44 percent.

The race drew very little interest statewide, with only 13 percent of registered voters casting ballots - a record low, according to the Secretary of State's office.

Schroder ran as a conservative, citing his time in Louisiana's House of Representatives. In the legislature, Schroder recently served as a member of the House Appropriations Committee, which gets the first bat at drafting the state budget. 

During the treasurer's race, Schroder ran campaign ads talking about reducing taxes and state spending, even though the treasurer does not control such matters. The treasurer is tasked with managing the state's cash flow and investments.

RELATED: La. treasurer candidates launch TV ads, analyst calls them flimsy on duties of office 

However, political analyst Jim Engster says expect Schroder to follow in the mold of his predecessor, John Kennedy, who turned the position into a watchdog post. Kennedy routinely went after state leaders from both parties, using the office as a megaphone. 

In the near future, Engster says Schroder will likely use the position to criticize Gov. John Bel Edwards over what to do about the state's project $1 billion fiscal cliff. Edwards is also Louisiana's sole statewide elected Democrat. 

The treasurer's seat was left vacant after Kennedy left to join the U.S. Senate in January 2017. Since then, Ron Henson has served as interim treasurer.

Copyright 2017 WAFB. All rights reserved.

  • Local/State NewsMore>>

  • State offers sales discount on hurricane supplies

    State offers sales discount on hurricane supplies

    Friday, May 25 2018 4:37 AM EDT2018-05-25 08:37:53 GMT
    A state sales tax holiday will be held Memorial Day weekend so residents can stock up on hurricane supplies (Source: WAFB)A state sales tax holiday will be held Memorial Day weekend so residents can stock up on hurricane supplies (Source: WAFB)

    Memorial Day weekend may be the best time to stock up on supplies for hurricane season. On Saturday, May 26 and Sunday, May 27, the sales tax will drop from 5 to 3 percent on various items people need for storm preparation.

    More >>

    Memorial Day weekend may be the best time to stock up on supplies for hurricane season. On Saturday, May 26 and Sunday, May 27, the sales tax will drop from 5 to 3 percent on various items people need for storm preparation.

    More >>
  • Five common food and drug interactions

    Five common food and drug interactions

    Even healthy foods can sometimes do harm if combined with the wrong medications (Source: WAFB)Even healthy foods can sometimes do harm if combined with the wrong medications (Source: WAFB)
    Even healthy foods can sometimes do harm if combined with the wrong medications (Source: WAFB)Even healthy foods can sometimes do harm if combined with the wrong medications (Source: WAFB)

    Many foods can interact with drugs by delaying, decreasing, or inhibiting the body’s ability to absorb the medicine. On the other hand, some medicines require food to help the body absorb them better.

    More >>

    Many foods can interact with drugs by delaying, decreasing, or inhibiting the body’s ability to absorb the medicine. On the other hand, some medicines require food to help the body absorb them better.

    More >>
  • Committee moves bill that could help close budget gap

    Committee moves bill that could help close budget gap

    The House Committee on Ways and Means moves a bill that could help close the state's budget gap (Source: WAFB)The House Committee on Ways and Means moves a bill that could help close the state's budget gap (Source: WAFB)
    The House Committee on Ways and Means moves a bill that could help close the state's budget gap (Source: WAFB)The House Committee on Ways and Means moves a bill that could help close the state's budget gap (Source: WAFB)

    The House Committee on Ways and Means moved a bill by Rep. Lance Harris, R-Alexandria that could help to close the $648 million budget gap.

    More >>

    The House Committee on Ways and Means moved a bill by Rep. Lance Harris, R-Alexandria that could help to close the $648 million budget gap.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly