Restore La. awards more than $91M in grants, officials say

BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - The Restore Louisiana Homeowner Assistance Program has offered grant awards to more than 3,100 homeowners for a total of $91.7 million to help with recovery from the historic floods of August 2016, Louisiana's Office of Community Development reported Tuesday.

Officials said more than 45,000 homeowners have filled out the initial survey, with more than 38,000 of those qualifying for the program. They added nearly 28,000 homeowners have been invited to formally complete an application, which is the next step in the process, but less than half of those have submitted them.

"We know it's been a long process for homeowners affected by last year's floods, but as we get the pieces of this federally funded program into place, we are gaining real momentum," Pat Forbes, executive director of OCD, said in a written release. "We also want to help as many homeowners as we can, which is why we encourage those who are eligible for Restore Louisiana to take the survey if you haven't already and to finish the application when you are invited to do so."

Applications can be submitted online at restore.la.gov or by calling (866) 735-2001 between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. Monday through Friday, or by visiting a housing assistance center. All housing assistance centers are closed on Thanksgiving Day. The ones below will be open Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.:

Baton Rouge - Oak Tree Building at Celtic Studios, 10000 Celtic Drive
Hammond - 130 Robin Hood Drive
Lafayette - 151 Southpark Road, Suite 500

Copyright 2017 WAFB. All rights reserved.